Rose is a genus of woody perennial flowering plants with over 300 species and tens of thousands of varieties. Rosa is the scientific name for the rose. Red roses online are often big and spectacular, with colors ranging from white to yellow to pink to orange to peach to lavender.
The majority of rose species are native to Asia, although several are also found in Europe, North America, and northwest Africa.
One more fact about the rose for you guys is that you can order flower delivery in thane online and send it to your near and dear ones with the amalgamation of such beautiful facts.
Roses are without a doubt one of the most beautiful and well-known flowers in the world. Roses have always been associated with love, beauty, and passion. They have a long and interesting history, with fossil evidence dating back 35 million years, far before humans were on the scene.
Here are some fascinating facts about roses from antiquity, medieval times, and contemporary times:
- Roses were first cultivated in gardens in China around 5000 years ago. Rose fossils have also been found in Germany and Yugoslavia.
- Roses were widely cultivated in the Middle East throughout the Roman era, and they were used as confetti at weddings, as a source of the scent, and for medical reasons.
- The rose was adopted as a symbol for the factions battling for control of England in the fifteenth century. Lancaster was represented by a red rose, whereas York was represented by a white rose. The battle became known as the “War of the Roses” as a consequence of this.
- Roses or rose water were regarded as lawful money by monarchs in the seventeenth century since they were used as barter and for payments.
- Cultivated roses were brought into Europe from China in the late eighteenth century. The origins of most contemporary roses may be traced back to this ancestor.
- Rosa gallica, commonly known as the French rose, is said to be the world’s oldest rose. The Persians viewed it as a sign of love.
- Rosa damascena, often known as the damask rose, is a descendant of Rosa gallica, which originally emerged around 900 B.C. and has played an important role in rose history.
- Rosa alba, commonly known as the “White Rose of York,” is another significant rose cultivar. During the Wars of the Roses in the 15th century, the House of York adopted this rose as their symbol.
- Roses were not only grown but also traded by the ancient Romans, Greeks, and Phoenicians. While traveling and conquering new lands, these civilizations acquired many rose varieties. As a result, the roses spread widely across the Middle East and other Mediterranean countries.
- Due to the collapse of the Roman Empire, Europeans were preoccupied with the aftermath of the war, making it impossible to maintain rose gardens.
- In the gardens of his palace at Aix-la-Chapelle, King of the Franks Charlemagne, also known as Charles the Great (742 A.D. -814 A.D.), planted roses.
- Soldiers returning from the Middle East crusades in the 12th and 13th centuries brought back tales of extravagant rose gardens as well as samples of flowers.
- The herbalists also demonstrated their growing expertise in the field of roses. In his book ‘Herball,’ written in 1597, English herbalist John Gerard said that people at the time were aware of 14 different kinds of roses.
- In 1629, John Parkinson reported that his herbal garden, Paradisus, grew as many as 24 distinct kinds of roses. In her book “A Collection of Roses from Nature,” published in the 1700s, artist Mary Lawrance depicted 90 distinct kinds of roses.
- Guillot, a French breeder, developed the first hybrid tea rose, “La France,” in 1867.
- The hybrid tea rose has the overall appearance of a hybrid everlasting rose with beautifully formed buds and a tea rose’s free following nature.
- More than 10,000 hybrid tea roses had been successfully produced by the late twentieth century.
- With the advent of ‘La France,’ new age of contemporary roses began.
- There are an estimated 30,000 different types of roses in the world today. Every year, the number of gardens where ancient roses may be found grows.